Saturday, April 25, 2009

Is there a way to use my home computer as a server and be secure(have a login to server on the web)???

I want to have a web site of my own, but have it only available to me. I want the website to be where i can upload files from another computer(not the computer with the server on it) on the site in order to access them some where else like a meeting of something. I want my computer to host the web page so i don't have to pay the monthly fees of web hosting. I don't want to buy an expensive server just for this purpose. I have a regular internet provider Comcast. Pretend i am computer stupid when answering so it is more clear step by step.
Is there a way to use my home computer as a server and be secure(have a login to server on the web)???
Here is what I would do:





1. Download and install XAMPP http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/


2. If you have a dynamically assigned IP address from your ISP, register for an account ant no-ip.com, pic a subdomain name and download, stall and run the Dynamic Update Client from no-ip.com


3. Install a Content management system such as phpmywebsite





Make it all work together


No comments:

Post a Comment