Saturday, April 25, 2009

Which hosting plan ( dedicated/reseller ) would you choose if you a web studio?

Why you would you choose reseller over dedicated and vice versa ?
Which hosting plan ( dedicated/reseller ) would you choose if you a web studio?
Personally? Neither. I don't want the headache of having to deal with hosting problems. Instead, I just became an affiliate for my favorite web hosting company, and so in addition to my consulting fee, I get a nice hefty check for my sign-up bonus.





Plus, I don't think it's socially responsible for a web designer to host the site as well. I know too many clients with horror stories... they weren't happy with the design, or found out the fee was outrageous, or both, and ended up with their website being hijacked by someone who suddenly turned rude and obnoxious and threatening.





So, people looking to hire designers who might be reading this, take heed... go to the extra trouble to register your domain name yourself. Then sign up for web hosting yourself (again, separate companies). Go with the recommendation of your designer if they have one, but don't give away the root password to the account. Assign the designer their own FTP password for uploading files.
Which hosting plan ( dedicated/reseller ) would you choose if you a web studio?
The names can mean different things with different hosting companies. I'd choose the plan that met my needs, regardless of what it was called.





(I host my own servers, so I don't bother with what hosting companies call their plans. My only "hosted" site is one I fool around with, just to keep my knowledge of what a good hosting company is doing current. It's much easier if you host your own server.)
Reply:If you have your own studio I would definatley go with a dedicated plan. A reseller plan is someone who works for a webhost company and is "reselling" the host's plan to make a profit.





Alternatively, try startlogic's "Pro Logic" plan. They're a reputable company who has hit the 100,000 customer mark and offers features like 24/7 toll free support, free domain for life, moneyback guarantee etc. I've used them for a couple years now.





Let me know if you have any other questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment