Saturday, April 25, 2009

Wanted: machine I can telnet to, have shell access on, host web site on, and...? (See details) Suggestions?

It has been a LONG time since I've done this.





I want to be able to telnet somewhere that'll give me a Unix shell, with Pine and trn and all the basics like that, and which'll host a web site (domain name mine). The ability to use some extras, like run a majordomo, would be nice but are not critical.





What exactly am I asking for, nowadays? One does not exactly see ads saying "Now, with exciting new trn for improved Usenet access!" ISPs in the area have all been "Shell access? Go away, please," for years.





Any suggestions for companies/ways to phrase what I'm asking for that makes more sense?
Wanted: machine I can telnet to, have shell access on, host web site on, and...? (See details) Suggestions?
I suggest Red Hat Fedora Core 4 OS.





"ISPs in the area have all been "Shell access? Go away, please," for years."





True and they should be if they care about the security on their shared-use servers. I suggest to go with a dedicated or virtual-dedicated server. Virtual-dedicated is a new technology out there that allows the affordability of a shared server with the useability of a dedicated server. Admin access allows you to have root level access and install and run virtually anything on the server.





See the Virtual Dedicated hosting offer here http://www.xmlwebhost.com/web_hosting.ph...
Wanted: machine I can telnet to, have shell access on, host web site on, and...? (See details) Suggestions?
OK, I'm a little confused because you asked about a machine ... but it sounds like you want a web host.





I suggest A Small Orange. You can do all those things, including secure shell, and great resources, and it's very, very reasonable (try $25 a year for a tiny account, just $50/year for a small one, which is what I have).





The catch is that compared to other hosts, the storage and bandwidth seem small. But that's a good thing! They don't oversell their shared servers. Watch out for hosts that overpromise and underdeliver.





ASO is run by really nice people! Not some faceless entity trying to hide from its customers. There is a forum (and it's public -- few hosts will let you look "behind the curtain" and see problems before you pay up) where you can ask questions before and after you sign up. Other members and tech support are very helpful and prompt.





You will be pleased with ASO. I would be very grateful if you mention that punstress referred you when you sign up. I have been very pleased with my hosting there!


No comments:

Post a Comment